Re: [O] How to place things differently in dot

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] How to place things differently in dot
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 16:27:37 -0400

Cecil Westerhof <address@hidden> writes:

> I was asked to make a diagram and was thinking that dot in org-mode could be
> a good idea.
>
> I got reasonably fast the following:
> <snip
> This is a good deal in the right direction, but a few things should be
> different:
> ​- E should be left of F
> - resource should go to the second 'line' without losing its border
> - K should be a 'line' lower

Maybe this will help although it's not a complete implementation of
what you have. The idea is to define rows and arrange your nodes into
those rows by using rank=same. Then make the row nodes and edges
invisible. It's also important to do the sequencing correctly, e.g.
in your example, if you just switch F -- E to E -- F, E will be to the
left of F as you want. But I don't know how to get the resources
subgraph to be treated as a node and thereby place it on the same row as F.

In any case, here's the current trial balloon:

#+BEGIN_SRC dot :file test2.svg :cmdline -Kdot -Tsvg
graph foo {
row1--row2--row3--row4 [style="invisible"];
row1, row2, row3, row4 [style="invisible"];

utilities [label = "Utilities"]
 F [shape="rectangle"]
 subgraph cluster_ta {
 color=blue