Re: [O] org-cite and org-citeproc

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] org-cite and org-citeproc
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:29:34 -1000

Aloha all,

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Lawrence <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> However, there are a couple of other scenarios to think about:
>>
>> 1) Some people may still need to use plain BibTeX.  Generating LaTeX
>> that is intended to be processed with BibTeX, as opposed to BibLaTeX, is
>> a little trickier, because (IIUC) BibTeX does not support multi-cite
>> citations.
>
> I know next to nothing about citations in general, so please bear with
> me: if multi-cite support means being able to condense citations (e.g.
> [1-3, 5, 9]), then bibtex can do at least some of that
> (e.g. http://texblog.org/2007/05/28/mulitple-reference-citation/).

Multiple citations with natbib are limited in the sense that individual
citations within them don't carry pre- and post-notes.  BibLaTeX does
away with this restriction.

>> Also, I don't know how easy it would be to capture the other
>> features of citations (e.g., the in-text vs. parenthetical distinction)
>> without relying on a package like natbib.  If generating
>> BibTeX-compatible LaTeX is needed, is it OK to rely on such a package?
>>

> IMO yes.

IMO yes, too.

The org-export-cite-add-citation-mode-latex function that Aaron Ecay
wrote allows the author to choose (implicitly) which package to use.  I
like this design because it can accommodate new packages without changes
to the Org mode code.

,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Your comment inspired me to implement
| org-export-cite-add-citation-mode-latex in the experimental citation
| support I just pushed.  So you can do:
|
| (org-export-cite-add-citation-mode-latex "tsd"
| "\\mycitecommand[%s][%s]{%s}" "\\myparencitecommand[%s][%s]{%s}")
|
| Add to your document:
|
| #+CITATION_MODE: tsd
|
| And citations should just work with your chosen commands.  I’m sure when
| advanced citation support comes along (whether from subtypes or plists),
| a similarly simple wrapper can be implemented.

I haven't found time to experiment with the citation developments or to
read through the developing code base.  Was this feature of Aaron's
experimental support subsequently dropped?

All the best,
Tom
--
Thomas S. Dye