[O] Only evaluate code blocks interactively, but export results

From: David Dynerman
Subject: [O] Only evaluate code blocks interactively, but export results
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 12:03:14 -0500

Hi all,

I’m trying to accomplish the following:

1) I have an org-babel python block in my code that produces a figure file
2) I’d like to include the resulting figure HTML export of my org file
3) The code takes a bit to run, so I don’t want to execute the code block
during each HTML export

What I have so far:

#+NAME: my_python_function
#+HEADER: :var some python vars
#+BEGIN_SRC python :results value file
  my python code
#+END_SRC

#+CALL: my_python_function(some python vars=values) :results value file
:exports results
#+CAPTION: Here is a figure
#+LABEL: fig:an_amazing_figure
#+ATTR_HTML: :height 200em
#+RESULTS:
[[file:output_file]]

This block works when I export to HTML (e.g. the code runs, and the figure is
placed in the appropriate figure with the appropriate caption).

Question: How can I modify this so that the code is only executed when I run
C-c C-c on the +CALL line, but still have the figure in the exported HTML?

I tried adding :eval no-export to the code and to the +CALL line, but then the
resulting HTML doesn’t contain the figure (it outputs “nil”, presumably because
the CALL line is trying to call it, but the code is refusing to run because of
the no-export line)

I’ve been digging around this for a few hours, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David