Re: [O] Best practices to get reminders?

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: [O] Best practices to get reminders?
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 00:28:05 -0400

Nikolaus Rath writes:

On Apr 06 2015, address@hidden (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) wrote:
Nikolaus Rath writes:
However, there's one thing where I feel lost. I don't expect to be editing my orgmode files on a daily basis (at least not yet), so how can I make sure that I don't miss an important deadline? It seems to me that it doesn't help much if instead of worrying to forget a deadline I now have to worry about forgetting to check my org-mode agenda... How do other people handle this? Is everyone else opening and working on their org files daily so that this becomes a non-issue?

You can put this after your org-agenda-files configuration in your .emacs: #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp (appt-activate 1) (org-agenda-to-appt) #+END_SRC Then you will be reminded of things in your org files, before the appointment time (I think 12 min is the default).

Hmm. I tried it with this test-event: * TODO Test task SCHEDULED: <2015-04-07 Tue> But running (org-agenda-to-appt) just gives "No event to add".
Is this because there is no time specified?

Yes.

I'm not really concerned with appointments that have a time span, but with projects that have specific due dates...

Well that is what the org agenda is for.

If you just can't remember to check the agenda every so often you could do something like (not tested):

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
 (run-at-time t 120 'org-agenda-list)
#+END_SRC

To run the agenda every two hours automatically.

Best,

--
Jorge.