Re: [O] incorrect HTML rendering of info links with spaces

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] incorrect HTML rendering of info links with spaces
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 11:53:05 -0400

address@hidden (Richard Y. Kim) writes:

> It seems like org-html-publish-to-html does not translate info links
> properly in generated HTML files.  The problem is that spaces in info
> nodes should be converted to dashes, but instead spaces are left as is.
>
> For example org-mode link [[info:elisp#Hash Tables]] is converted as

> when in fact the correct URL that should be generated is

> where a dash is used in the URL as well as ".html" suffix.
>
> Why should it be "-" instead of " "?  Simply because that is the
> convention used by GNU makeinfo when translating texinfo files into HTML
> output.  For example
>
>     http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/elisp.html#Hash-Tables
>
> is the correct URL rather than this incorrect URL:
>

> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/elisp.html#Hash%20Tables
>
> So today if I hit C-c C-o on [[info:elisp#Hash Tables]] link, then it
> correctly brings up "(elisp) Hash Tables" info node.  However the
> generated HTML link does not work.  On the other hand
> [[info:elisp#Hash-Tables]] with a dash rather than space generates valid
> HTML link (ignoring missing ".html" suffix), but C-c C-o fails to work.
> It would be very useful if the same org link such as [[info:elisp#Hash
> Tables]] works for both C-c C-o as well as generate valid HTML link.
>
> This issue is important to me, because I would rather use org-mode than
> texinfo to write documentation on emacs packages with many links
> pointing to the official emacs and elisp manuals.  Right now lack of
> proper support for info links in org-mode is the *only* reason why I
> currently use texinfo rather than org-mode.

I believe there is provision for that in org-link-protocols:

 ("man" org-man-open org-man-export)
 ("info" org-info-open nil)

The info entry has an org-info-open entry but the second entry
is nil. You can replace that with org-info-export and write the
org-info-export function to DTRT. You can use the org-man-export
function as a model.

Maybe you can submit a patch?

Nick