Re: [O] pdf screen reader accessibility?

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] pdf screen reader accessibility?
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 20:48:15 +0200

Hi,

William Henney <address@hidden> writes:

>> free
>> >
>> > So what?  IIUC, the OP wants to have something similar using Emacs and
>> > (maybe) free (in a usual sense, or in FSF sense) software.  Isn't it
>> > a valid request?
>>
>> Of course it is, but OP is referring to features of some software that I
>> don't have access to, so how am I supposed to make sense of it?  I'm not
>> going to (i) install a new OS; and (ii) buy/torrent software to understand
>> and test a feature in named software.
>>
>> If there's a standard I'm eager to hear about it.
>>

> I believe the relevant standard is PDF/UA
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=PDF/UA
>
> As far as I can tell, support for this from LaTeX is still very much a work
> in progress, but there is an accessibility.sty package that has made a
> start. Here is a recent SO discussion:
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/124291/revisiting-producing-structured-pdfs-from-latex

Thanks those are interesting reads.  Based on the SO question it seems
that the best way to go about this ATM is either adding
"\pdfinterwordspaceon", meta-accessibility, and cmap packages to the
preamble via #+LATEX_HEADER or org-latex-packages or use Context.  Org
does not have a Context backend.  The (meta-)accessibility package does
not seem to be on CTAN.

I don't think Org can do more to get 'tagged pdfs' via ox-latex until
better LaTeX solutions exist or until ox-context.el exists.

When exporting a pdf via Libreoffice there's an option for tagged pdf (via
File → Export as PDF → General).  Is that a suitable solution in this
case?

Thanks,
Rasmus

--