Re: [O] Could org-mode use `completing-read-function' instead of `org-ic

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: [O] Could org-mode use `completing-read-function' instead of `org-icompleting-read'?
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:30:44 +0200

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Oleh,

>>> I think it's nicer to use existing features/variables, but comparability
>>> is also an issue.
>>
>> Alright, I've made so that if `completing-read-function' is
>> `completing-read-default', nothing changes.  But when it's set, it
>> used. So now, e.g. `helm-mode' or `ivy-mode' will automatically work.
>
> The change is no good IMO.  For the fix to work one needs to set
> org-completion-use-ido.  If this is non-nil it would be weird if ido is
> not used.
>

> I don't know how to use helm of ivy.  But I think the attached patch is
> better.  Would that work with helm and ivy?

I could live with it, but basically `org-completion-use-ido` says "I
don't care if you've temporarily disabled `ido-mode' or not, I'll use
ido anyway". This isn't a good approach, especially considering that
`ido-mode' is already a convenient minor mode.
Maybe `org-completion-use-ido' should be completely removed, and ido completion
should be used automatically when `ido-mode' is on.

Oleh