Re: [O] Sparse tree for undated TODOs, or hierachical agenda?

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: [O] Sparse tree for undated TODOs, or hierachical agenda?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 13:11:44 -0400

Nikolaus Rath writes:

Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo writes:
If you want to restrict to your current document before building the agenda use '<', so if 'C-c a' calls your agenda (suggested org key), then you can do 'C-c a < a' to get the agenda restricted to the buffer that you are in.

Well, yes, but that still throws away all the headings. E.g. * Task 1 ** TODO Do A ** Other stuff * Task 2 ** TODO Do B ** TODO Do C SCHEDULED: <2015-05-31 Sun> becomes (after C-c a t): * TODO Do A * TODO Do B What I would like to get is
* Task 1 ** TODO Do A * Task 2 ** TODO Do B

I do not know what you mean by sparse tree,

The sparse tree is what you get with C-c \ t (org-sparse-tree). For the above example, you get: * Task 1 ** TODO Do A * Task 2 ** TODO Do B ** TODO Do C SCHEDULED: <2015-05-31 Sun> so the structure is conserved like I want, but even with..
but this excludes anything scheduled or with a deadline from the global todo list: #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp (setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled 'all) (setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines 'all) #+END_SRC

.. the scheduled items are still included (because the todo-* settings apply only to the Agenda view, not the sparse tree view).

It seems to me that these are two different issues. If you want the TODO list in the org-agenda to show your headlines you can configure the view to show breadcrumbs (and order by category):

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
 (setq org-agenda-prefix-format
       '((agenda . " %i %-12:c%?-12t% s")
         (timeline . "  % s")
         (todo . " %i %-12:c%-24:b")
         (tags . " %i %-12:c")
         (search . " %i %-12:c")))

 (setq org-agenda-sorting-strategy
       ((agenda habit-down time-up priority-down category-keep)
        (todo category-keep)
        (tags priority-down category-keep)
        (search category-keep)))

#+END_SRC

Now, if you want to narrow the agenda (C-c a) or org-sparse-tree (C-c /) to show TODO items not SCHEDULED or DEADLINE'd use the key 'm' and the following match:

-SCHEDULED={.+}-DEADLINE={.+}+TODO="TODO"

Best,
--
Jorge.