Re: [O] Marking/highlighting text temporarily

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Marking/highlighting text temporarily
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 17:08:15 +0800

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Vikas Rawal <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>     On 25-Apr-2015, at 6:22 am, John Kitchin <address@hidden>
>>     wrote:
>>
>>     Inspired by this conversation, I hacked up this functional comment
>>     link:
>>

>> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/04/24/Commenting-in-org-files/
>>

>>     It has a custom link type that exports in html and latex, and when
>>     you click on it, it asks if you want to delete the comment.
>>
>> Nice. One small issue is that when I highlight a text and add comment
>> to it, and then delete the comment, one space following the last word
>> is removed.
>>
>> Also, it would be good to make the comment stand out in LaTeX (and
>> other) exports, preferably by pushing it to the margin (so it does not
>> move everything else).
>
> Hang on a bit, I'm wasting my afternoon expanding this...

Okay, this is as far as I got today. I changed some behavior from John's
implementation: when following the links, it seemed like displaying the
comment text would be more useful than deleting it -- I think many of us
have "delete-org-link" functions lying around. I also couldn't get the
add-comment thing to work, as it complained when there was no region, so
I changed how that works.

Lastly, I spent most of my time learning how tabular list mode works,
and haven't actually tested the export. Will save that for tomorrow.
Otherwise, here's the introduction from the Commentary. Comments and
suggestions very welcome!

Provides a new link type for Org that allows you to create comments
on arbitrary chunks of text.  The link prefix is "comment:".

Add comments with `org-comment-add-comment'.  Following the link
will display the text of the comment in a pop-up buffer.  The
buffer is in special-mode, hit "q" to dismiss it.

Call `org-comment-display-comments' to see all comments in a buffer.

See the `org-comment-[backend]-export-style' options for ways to
format comments in export.

TODO:

1. Better export customization options.
2. What does the ODT comment XML look like?
3. More functions in the display comment buffer: copy as
kill... what else?
4. More functions in the comments list buffer, to display, pop to,
delete, and edit comment text.
5. Is it possible to have multi-line filled tabular list items?
Long comments are not very useful if you can't see the whole thing.
5. Allow multiple comment list buffers attached to different Org
buffers.
6. Maybe a minor mode for ease of manipulating comments?