Re: [O] Marking/highlighting text temporarily

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Marking/highlighting text temporarily
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 20:14:09 +0800

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Would this be eligible?
>
> Not that my .02€ are worth much, but I think the idea of inline notes is
> good, but I don't think it should be done using links.  See e.g. the
> discussion on citation which introduced a [cite:⋯] command.  A [comment:⋯]
> command would also IMO make much more sense than [[comment:X][Y]] as was
> allowed last time I read your patch (in the weekend, I think).

Wow, I just went back and looked at the cite thread. That was
bewildering. I don't see a direct connection here, though -- cite was
needed for very specific academic purposes, with very clearly-defined
needs. Comment is much floppier: good for anything from notes-to-self,
to notes-to-editor, to notes-to-no-one.

*None* of the complexity is in the format itself: if you unloaded
org-comment, the comment links would be perfectly human-readable. All of
the complexity is in helper functions for manipulating them. I suppose
it would be possible to define some non-link syntax for them, but why do
that when the link syntax works perfectly well?

> On inclusion in contrib I think you can put anything org-ish there.  It's
> better if the copyright is cleared in case we want to make it part of
> core, but it's not necessary.  There's little difference between core and
> contrib as neither are included in Emacs and thus are hard to rely on.
>
> Since you use cl-lib (last I checked) it could not be part of Org before
> 8.4.

Ah, that's a good point. cl-lib isn't necessary, just convenient, and
could be removed.

Thanks,
Eric