Re: [O] A Microsoftesque detail in org

From: Titus von der Malsburg
Subject: Re: [O] A Microsoftesque detail in org
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 17:39:01 -0700

On 2015-05-17 Sun 14:15, Rasmus wrote:
> Hi Jarmo,
>
> Jarmo Hurri <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> With your behavior you can (i) break the TODO tag; (ii) break the cookie;
>>> (iii) break the tag.  At least (i) and (ii) are quite destructive.
>>
>> I am not sure what you mean, since a single undo will always heal the
>> line again, regardless of where you break it.
>
> Sure.  But that seems orthogonal to the problem at hand.  Re (i): Assume
> TODO is keyword.  We don't know that TO is.  Re (ii): [#B] is a cookie.
> [#B is not.  (iii) iii :tag: is a tag :ta is not.  The editor should not
> easily produce invalid syntax.

I disagree with that last statement.  I’m not aware of any Emacs mode
(or any other text editor for that matter) that prevents me from
producing invalid syntax.  A text editor preventing invalid syntax is
actually not even desirable because the path from one syntactically
valid state of the document to the next often leads through invalid
states.  If you really want to prevent temporarily invalid documents,
the result is going to be some kind of GUI application, not a text
editor.  While that may be a valid solution for some people, it is
certainly not the Emacs way of doing things.

  Titus