Re: [O] Marking/highlighting text temporarily

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Marking/highlighting text temporarily
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 11:57:21 +0200

> Hello,
>
> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> We're just talking about annotations-plus-metadata here, right? Not
>> actual in-text TODOs?
>
> I'm not convinced in-text TODOs would be interesting, because they would
> make building the agenda an order of magnitude slower.

IMO you need not.  But perhaps I'm extrapolating from my use-case.  I
guess it would be inconsistent not to include it.

> My concerns about syntax are:
>
>   - it should not cripple readability of the document
>   - it needs to mark both objects (inline) and elements, even multiple
>     elements (e.g., two paragraphs)
>
> In particular, the last point is difficult to handle for the parser.
> Indeed, any syntax is either contained in a paragraph or stops one, so
> this syntax should be a bit "outside" the parser.
>
> Anyway, here we go for another proposal.
>
> In-text markers:
>
>   [@:address@hidden

While we have opening and closing tags for formatting (e.g. bold), I
dislike the above.  It seems like asking for trouble; it would seem one
could easily loose track and delete one end of the tag and not the other.
IOW: [@:ID1]... [@:address@hidden@] seems like asking for trouble as I
could easily delete an opening pair.

But note that I am more interested in an inline noting/todo functionality
as opposed to annotation functionality.

Also, for annotation, would it not be annoying, in review session say, to
have the notes so "far away" from the text?  Perhaps not with the right
helping tools.

—Rasmus

--
Enough with the bla bla!