Re: [O] [RFC] Org linting library

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Org linting library
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 17:01:58 +0200

Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The following library implements linting for Org syntax. The sole public
>>> function is `org-lint', which see.
>>>
>>> Internally, the library defines a new structure: `org-lint-checker',
>>> with the following slots:
>>>
>>>   - NAME: Unique check identifier, as a symbol. The check is done
>>>     calling the function `org-lint-NAME' with one mandatory argument,
>>>     the parse tree describing the current Org buffer. Such function
>>>     calls are wrapped within a `save-excursion' and point is always at
>>>     `point-min'. Its return value has to be an alist (POSITION MESSAGE)
>>>     when POSITION refer to the buffer position of the error, as an
>>>     integer, and MESSAGE is a strings describing the error.

>>>   - CATEGORIES: Categories relative to the check, as a list of symbol.
>>>     They are used for filtering when calling `org-lint'. Checkers not
>>>     explicitly associated to a category are collected in the `default'
>>>     one.
>>>
>>>   - TRUST: The trust level one can have in the check. It is either `low'
>>>     or `high', depending on the heuristics implemented and the nature of
>>>     the check. This has an indicative value only and is displayed along
>>>     reports.
>>>
>>> All checks have to be listed in `org-lint--checkers'.
>>>
>>> Results are displayed in a special "*Org Lint*" buffer with a dedicated
>>> major mode, derived from `tabulated-list-mode'. In addition to the usual
>>> key-bindings inherited from it, "C-j" displays problematic line reported
>>> under point and "RET" jumps to it.
>>>
>>> Checks currently implemented are:
>>>
>>>   - duplicates CUSTOM_ID properties
>>>   - duplicate NAME values
>>>   - duplicate targets
>>>   - duplicate footnote definitions
>>>   - orphaned affiliated keywords
>>>   - obsolete affiliated keywords
>>>   - missing language in src blocks
>>>   - NAME values with a colon
>>>   - wrong header arguments in src blocks
>>>   - misuse of CATEGORY keyword
>>>   - "coderef" links with unknown destination
>>>   - "custom-id" links with unknown destination
>>>   - "fuzzy" links with unknown destination
>>>   - "id" links with unknown destination
>>>   - links to non-existent local files
>>>   - special properties in properties drawer
>>>   - obsolete syntax for PROPERTIES drawers
>>>   - missing definition for footnote references
>>>   - missing reference for footnote definitions
>>>   - non-footnote definitions in footnote section
>>>   - probable invalid keywords
>>>   - invalid blocks
>>>   - probable incomplete drawers
>>>   - obsolete QUOTE section
>>>
>>> Since it relies on lexical binding, `pcase' and `string-prefix-p', it
>>> cannot be added to Org 8.3, but can make it into Org 8.4, if deemed
>>> useful enough.
>>>

>> This sounds very interesting and I would like to try it out. I
>> understand that it can't be put into master, but could it be put into a
>> branch?
>>
>> This would make testing a bit easier.
>>

> It is.  The branch is called `wip-lint'.

Thanks (also to Nicolas) - I found it. Just expected the branch to be
tracked automatically.

This is really brilliant!

But I now get a message in one .org file:

,----
| Org linting process starting...
| Search failed: "^[    ]*#\\+NAME: +tab:sensVar"
`----

and no results.

Works in other .org files.

This one is rather long (11570 lines) and many code blocks.

Just let me know how I can trace down where this is coming from and what
the message tells me.

Thanks,

Rainer

> Regards,