Re: [O] position figures side by side in PDF output

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] position figures side by side in PDF output
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 22:03:43 +0100

Hi Zhihao,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
> Hi Zhihao,
>
> Zhihao Ding <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Could anyone give me some advice on how to position figures side by side in
>> PDF output?
>> I am trying to write a report, while my figures were all originally produced
>> individually.  I’d like
>> to put them, mostly two, sometimes three, side by side sharing a same
>> caption and label.
>> Below is the syntax I am using now, which can only do one figure.
>
> Does this thread answer your question?  It would give you individual
> subcaptions, but you need not use them.
>
>      https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-11/msg00548.html
>
> Otherwise you could use e.g. imagemagick to stick together figures.

As an alternative you could use a table.
+ easy
+ orgmode only (should work across backends)
- no scaling of images
- it is a table for latex (i.e. will appear in list of tables, etc.)

Here is a short example for the table approach and an imagemagick-based
solution as proposed by Rasmus.

* generate images                                                  :noexport:
#+name: image1
#+begin_src R :results graphics :file img1.pdf
  plot(1:10)
#+end_src

#+results: image1
[[file:img1.pdf]]

#+name: image2
#+begin_src R :results graphics :file img2.pdf
  plot(1:5)
#+end_src

#+results: image2
[[file:img2.pdf]]

* export side-by-side

** table
#+caption: stitching side-by-side using tables
| [[file:img1.pdf]] | [[file:img2.pdf]] |

** using imagemagick

*** function                                                       :noexport:
#+name: sidebyside
#+begin_src sh :session none :results file replace :var im1="im1.png" :var
im2="im2.png" :var outname="out.png"
  convert "$im1" "$im2" +append "$outname"
  echo "$outname"
#+end_src

*** test
#+name: combinedfig
#+call: sidebyside(im1="img1.pdf", im2="img2.pdf") :results file

#+caption: stitching side-by-side using imagemagick
#+results: combinedfig
[[file:out.png]]

Regards,
Andreas