Re: [O] Treat custom environment as verbatim on export

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Treat custom environment as verbatim on export
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 19:29:22 +0200

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It's a special block, so e.g. org-latex-special-block.  But contents is
>> already transcoded by the time in arrives to e.g. org-latex-special-block.
>> To the extend this should be fixed, one way would be to allow a raw option
>> to special blocks (also needed for e.g. #+{begin,end}_equation) and have
>> babel insert it as needed.  I don't know how easy this is.
>
> I don't think a ":raw" option for special blocks is worth implementing.
>
> There are two types or "raw" contents: "protected raw" (i.e., verbatim
> contents) and "export-specific raw" (i.e., target language code). For
> the former, we already have example blocks (or fixed-width areas) and
> for the latter, export blocks.
>
> A third category exists, "multi-language raw", in which, I think, only
> the most trivial cases (those you never really need in practice) would
> fit.
>
> The OP wants special "protected raw" for LaTeX back-end. We could
> provide a special attribute for this, e.g.,
>
>   #+ATTR_LATEX: :environment "my-verbatim"
>
>   #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
>   ... stuff...
>   #+END_EXAMPLE
>

> But this is really only a shortcut for
>
>   #+BEGIN_my-verbatim
>   #+BEGIN_LATEX
>   stuff
>   #+END_LATEX
>   #+END_my-verbatim
>
> WDYT?

If the end goal is

   #+BEGIN_my-verbatim
   #+BEGIN_LATEX
   stuff
   #+END_LATEX
   #+END_my-verbatim

Then I think it should be producible with babel via

   #+begin_src Emacs-lisp :wrap my-verbatim :results latex
   "stuff"
   #+end_src

However,

   #+ATTR_LATEX: :environment "my-verbatim"
   #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
   ... stuff...
   #+END_EXAMPLE

Is more general since it also produce sensible output in other backends.

Thus, I think passing attr arguments to example blocks may be
preferable...  Though *if* you are only going for latex export, :wrap
my-verbatim :results latex seems more convenient to me.

Rasmus

--
This message is brought to you by the department of redundant departments