Re: [O] Recently emacs hangs on startup due to ESS

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Recently emacs hangs on startup due to ESS
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 18:23:33 -0500

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Cook, Malcolm <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Cook, Malcolm <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>> > I would install latest ess fresh.
>>
>> I wondered about that as well, so I tried that prior to posting here.
>> Sorry, I should have listed my version, which is now 15.03-1.
>>
>> > What version of emacs?  The package manager is a moving target these
>> days.
>>
>> GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.2)
>> (installed via Arch Linux standard package)
>>
>> > Try to use the package manager to interactively install the latest

>> star
>> >
>> > (require 'package) ;; You might already have this line (add-to-list
>> > 'package-archives
>> >              '("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/";) t) (when (<
>> > emacs-major-version 24)
>> >   ;; For important compatibility libraries like cl-lib
>> >   (add-to-list 'package-archives '("gnu" .
>> > "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)))
>> > (package-initialize) ;; You might already have this line
>> >

>> I could do this, though I've sort of decided to steer away from packages and
>> just manage things manually via my ~/.elisp/site-lisp folder. Would this have
>> an affect? My process was to simply download the .zip of ESS, and unpack to
>> ~/.elisp/site-lisp/ess (after deleting the old version). This way, my .emacs
>> can
>> continue to point to ~/.elisp/site-lisp/ess/lisp regardless of what version I
>> have.
>>
>> If manual vs. [m]elpa would make a difference, I suppose I could give the
>> above a whirl.
>>

> Well, you'll get everything compiled if you use the package manager.  Worth
> it just for that!  There are other ways to get those files byte-compiled, but
> the package manager is probably the best.

ESS is sounding like compilation is optional, and I never have.
- http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Installation

> Also, the package manager can help you discover when updates exist to ALL
> your eamcs packages.  Worth learning for that.

Definitely. I may look into that. I pretty much just use Org and R, so
not super worried about it, but I really don't know enough to
understand what other packages ship with emacs that I could/should be
updating!

> OTOH, as I said, it has been in flux lately and is still a moving target.
>
> BTW, when did you last update emacs?

$ grep emacs /var/log/pacman.log

[2014-06-14 20:49] [PACMAN] upgraded emacs (24.3-6 -> 24.3-7)
[2014-10-23 10:28] [PACMAN] upgraded emacs (24.3-7 -> 24.4-1)
[2015-01-19 01:36] [ALPM] upgraded emacs (24.4-1 -> 24.4-2)
[2015-04-20 13:14] [ALPM] upgraded emacs (24.4-2 -> 24.5-1)

> And, does (require 'ess-site) ALL BY ITSELF generate your error?

Yup, see the original email:

#+begin_quote

I can reproduce this with:
- emacs -Q
- putting this in the buffer

(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/ess/lisp")
(require 'ess-site)

- M-x eval-region on the above two lines

#+end_quote

Thanks for the assistance!
John