Re: [O] org-use-property-inheritance not working?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org-use-property-inheritance not working?
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 00:17:54 +0200

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> Looking at my example, it seems that the variable
> org-use-property-inheritance has no impact on the header arguments,
> i.e. no properties are inherited. So it seems that there is a bug, or a
> severe misunderstanding on my side what property inheritance means.
>
> From the help of the variable:
>
> ,----
> | When nil, only the properties directly given in the current entry count.
> | When t, every property is inherited.  The value may also be a list of
> | properties that should have inheritance, or a regular expression matching
> | properties that should be inherited.
> `----
>
> Reading this, and the fact that I get the same properties irrespective
> if I set org-use-property-inheritance to t or nil, I would assume that
> there is something not correct or consistent.

I think you are confused with property accumulation. However property
inheritance predates this feature and totally ignores it.

Inheritance is an answer to the question "what should I do if the
property I'm looking for doesn't exist in the entry?". IOW, it only
kicks in, if at all, when property is /not found/ in current entry.

In your example, the property you're looking for is defined in every
entry, including the current one. Per above, Org doesn't even try to use
inheritance, and doesn't look at `org-use-property-inheritance'.

Regards,