[O] Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips

From: Xebar Saram
Subject: [O] Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 19:39:14 +0300

Hi all

Im a young assistant professor (in humanities and thus my horrific coding skills..basically non ;-)) and having been using orgmode for a year or two now. I love orgmode dearly and use it mainly for note taking, lists etc

I am aware of the fantastic orgmode capabilities that could benefit me greatly such as exporting, email tie-ins, beamer support, organizing my bibliography (i have switched to a .bib file recently for my references), agenda capabilities and so much moreand have tried several of these with mild success.

unfortunately (and this maybe due to me not being very technical and lack of coding skills) i still feel like im really not using orgmode to its potential and still feel miserably lost in terms of organizing my work in academia from all aspects.

i am looking for 2 things really:
1. as i said in the post topic a good guide if anyone is aware of or detailed examples of using org in Academia (mainly aimed at faculty :))

2. related to that as a young researcher with multiple students, paper writing, grant applications, department duties, endless TODOS, endless email i would really be grateful for even non org specific tips on how other people organize all this to make life more..well..organized :)

thanks alot in advance and sorry for the long mail

best