Re: [O] Tangling takes long - profiling and calling R

From: Charles C. Berry
Subject: Re: [O] Tangling takes long - profiling and calling R
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 11:52:55 -0700

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015, Rainer M Krug wrote:

Hi

I have a relatively large file with
about 200 =source blocks (R) to be tangled to get an R package. But the
tangling takes about 20 seconds.

Profiling the tangling showed that the call to ~mapcar~ in
~org-babel-params-from-properties~ takes about 40% of the execution time
(see profiler excerpt below). Is there anything one can do to make this
faster?

In addition to this, I observed there is some interaction with ESS when
tangling, which in my understanding is not necessary. I get messages
like

,----
| Wrote /Users/rainerkrug/Documents/Projects/EnergyBalance/.Rbuildignore
| Wrote /Users/rainerkrug/Documents/Projects/EnergyBalance/tests/wpLELTest.R
| You are developing: (EnergyBalance)
| Wrote
/Users/rainerkrug/Documents/Projects/EnergyBalance/R/plotwpLELFitListParDistr.R
| You are developing: (EnergyBalance)
`----

where the messages "You are developing: (EnergyBalance)" come from
ESS. Is this to be expected that R is called for some blocks, but not
for others, when tangling?

The major mode is invoked when tangling, if possible.

This enables comments to be rendered. See the docstring for `org-babel-spec-to-string'.

HTH,

Chuck