[O] How to make footnotes be fnlocal by default?

From: William Denton
Subject: [O] How to make footnotes be fnlocal by default?
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 18:40:06 -0400 (EDT)

I'm writing something with a bunch of footnotes and instead of doing them by
hand I'm using C-c C-x f, which in the usual Emacs/Org way strikes me as a more
difficult at first but then turns into magic.

By default, adding a footnote puts it at the bottom of the document. This is because of org-footnote-define-inline:

'Non-nil means define footnotes inline, at reference location. When nil, footnotes will be defined in a special section near the end of the document. When t, the [fn:label:definition] notation will be used to define the footnote at the reference position."

However, there are three (not two) possible options available in STARTUP options:

fninline    define footnotes inline
fnnoinline  define footnotes in separate section
fnlocal     define footnotes near first reference, but not inline

I found I like fnlocal, which puts the footnotes at the bottom of the paragraph or section, where they are nearby and easy to see.

I'd like to make this the default in all Org files by setting org-footnote-define-inline, but it seems I can't---all I can definte that way are the fninline and fnnoinline options. Am I correct? Is there some way around this, or perhaps a (setq org-footnote-define-inline 'fnlocal) setting could be added?

Bill
--
William Denton ↔  Toronto, Canada ↔  https://www.miskatonic.org/