Re: [O] org-ref & helm-bibtex notes

From: Julian Burgos
Subject: Re: [O] org-ref & helm-bibtex notes
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 12:25:16 -0000

Hi Titus,

I think a very simple template for the notes file would suffice.  I am
using org ref and had originally modified the template by removing the
TODO, simplifying the properties drawer (no need to duplicate all the
biblatex info here) and adding a link to the pdf file, which is very handy
when reading my notes file.

* [[/path/to/pdf/files/BibTeXkey.pdf][BibTeXkey]] Title
:PROPERTIES:
:Custom_ID: BibTeXkey
:END:

Recently I upgraded org-ref and instead of using my own link to the pdf
file, I use a "cite" statement, which gives me all the goodies from
org-ref (opening the pdf file, accesing Google Scholar, etc.etc.).

* cite:BibTeXkey Title
:PROPERTIES:
:Custom_ID: BibTeXkey
:END:

I have no choice between using drawers or tags.  I have not experienced
slow downs because of using drawers, although tags would make the notes
file look cleaner.  The issue with keys containing colons could be solved
by replacing the colon with some other acceptable character on the tag,
like "@" or "_".  So a reference with BibTeXkey "Smith,Jones 2008" would
get a tag "address@hidden" or "Smith_Jones2008".

Julian