Re: [O] another example of org being slow, with some analysis

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] another example of org being slow, with some analysis
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 08:51:46 +0100

On Friday, 19 Jun 2015 at 08:19, Daniel Bausch wrote:

[...]

> Line 6000 is indeed quite "lame".  I have similar problems like Eric.  A
> table recalculation at line 43868 takes about a minute at my quite fast
> machine.  I also tracked that down to org-current-line.  One interesting
> detail is that this depends on the buffer encoding.  With ASCII the
> recalculation takes less than a second, with utf-8 about a minute.

Adding some data: my table is at line 8438 in the buffer but character
position 398345 (I have very long lines as I use visual-line-mode in org
exclusively with org-indent).  I do use utf-8 encoding.

I have just tried updating the table on a different laptop (i7-2760, 8
cores, 8 GB RAM, Ubuntu) and it was very fast.

The two laptops are running different versions of emacs (tracking latest
emacs developments on Ubuntu and Debian testing lead to different
versions unfortunately) so my gut feeling is that there is an emacs
issue here and possibly one related to utf-8 as Daniel suggests.

I'll try to do more instrumenting on my other laptop when I get a
chance.

thanks all,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org
release_8.3beta-1147-g0e5069.dirty