Re: [O] Emacs/ESS/org freezes/hangs on big data/ RAM(~256GB) processes w

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Emacs/ESS/org freezes/hangs on big data/ RAM(~256GB) processes when run in org/babel
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 17:05:56 +0200

Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Rainer,

Hi Andreas,

> [...]
>> approach, i.e. I tangle function definitions in a folder ./R, data into
>> ./data (which makes it possible to share org defined variables with R
>> running outside org) and scripts, i.e. the things which do a analysis,
>> import data, ... i.e. which might take long, into a folder ./scripts/. I
>> then add the usual R package infrastructure files (DESCRIPTION,
>> NAMESPACE, ...).
>> Then I have one file tangled into ./scripts/init.R:
>>
>> #+begin_src R :tangle ./scripts/init.R
>> library(devtools)
>> load_all()
>> #+end_src
>>

>> and one for the analysis:
>>
>> #+begin_src R :tangle ./scripts/myAnalysis.R
>> ## Do some really time intensive and horribly complicated and important
>> ## stuff here
>> save(
>>     fileNames,
>>     bw,
>>     cols,
>>     labels,
>>     fit,
>>     dens,
>>     gof,
>>     gofPerProf,
>>     file = "./cache/results.myAnalysis.rds"
>> )
>> #+end_src
>>

>> Now after tangling, I have my code easily available in a new R session:
>>
>> 1) start R in the directory in which the DESCRIPTION file is,
>> 2) run source("./scripts/init.R")
>>
>> and I have all my functions and data available.
>>
>> To run a analysis, I do
>>
>> 3) source("./scripts/myAnalysis.R")
>>
>> and the results are saved in a file fn
>>
>> To analyse the data further, I can then simply use
>>
>> #+begin_src R :tangle ./scripts/myAnalysis.R
>> fitSing <- attach("./cache/results.myAnalysis.rds")
>> #+end_src
>>

>> so they won't interfere with my environment in R.
>>
>> I can finally remove the attached environment by doing
>>
>> #+begin_src R :tangle ./scripts/myAnalysis.R
>> detach(
>>     name = attr(fitSing, "name"),
>>     character.only = TRUE
>> )
>> #+end_src
>>
>> Through these caching and compartmentalizing, I can easily do some
>> things outside org and some inside, and easily combine all the data.
>>
>> Further advantage: I can actually create the package and send it to
>> somebody for testing and review and it should run out of the box, as in
>> the DESCRIPTION file all dependencies are defined.
>>
>> I am using this approach at the moment for a paper and which will also
>> result in a paper. By executing all the scripts, one will be able to do
>> import the raw data, do the analysis and create all graphs used in the
>> paper.
>>
>> Hope this gives you another idea how one can handle long running
>> analysis in R in org,
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rainer
>>

> That is a cool workflow.  I especially like the fact that you end up

Thanks. Yes - the idea of having a package at the end was one main
reason why I am using this approach.

> So, I'll try my again.   Is there there any chance to see working
> example of this?  I'd love to see that.

Let's say I am working on it. I am working on a project which is using
this workflow and when it is finished, the package will be available as
an electronic appendix to the paper.

But I will see if I can condense an example and blog it - I'll let you
kow when it is done.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Thanks,