Re: [O] org version numbers in file - WAS: Tangling takes long - profili

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] org version numbers in file - WAS: Tangling takes long - profiling and calling R
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 12:57:23 +0200

Detlef Steuer <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Tue, 23 Jun 2015 10:45:45 +0200
> schrieb Rainer M Krug <address@hidden>:
>
>> 2) most importantly, I think this should be added automatically into
>> the org file as #+ORG_FILE_VERSION: so that one can count on it to be
>> there.
>
> Well. I want *nothing* to be added automatically. An org file is a text file
> containing what I type or add explicitly.

It is still a text file and you can always delete it.

> If the file is exported may be org version info should be added as
> some kind of comment automatically.
>
> If it is me who adds
>
> #+ORG_FILE_VERSION:
>
> somewhere and that property is expanded at save or export time, that is ok.
> But not everything is reproducible research. org should never have its
> own ideas about the authors intention.

Well org has quite a few of it's own ideas and intentions - e.g. the *
for headers - no way around.

Some time ago there was a change of the location of property drawers for
scheduling (if I am not mistaken). So older filed would contain invalid
syntax and not see the deadlines anymore.

Now imagine opening an older file some time later and you have forgotten
to change it in this file, and it simply does not work. The single line
of the org version used for this document would make it quite easy for
you to trace back what had changed in the meantime and to fix this.

So I don't think that this would only for reproducible research useful.

But one could always add an option to disable this (if it would be
included).

Cheers,

Rainer

> Regards