Re: [O] Structuring and (cross)linking information in org-mode

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Structuring and (cross)linking information in org-mode
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 10:02:23 -0400

This all sounds doable, but it will take some work ;)

> I know how to make tasks with the org-todo-keywords.
> Now I want to mark chunks of information in that file in a similar way, but
> keep it outside of the task workflow. I’d like to have that information
> accessible and finable easily, and I want to differentiate different kinds of
> information.
>
> Quick example:
>
> * TODO This is my first task
> Some task description goes here
>
> * MEETINGNOTE of meeting 2015-07-02 MyCompany

I think you should probably use a tag of :MEETINGNOTE: here, instead of
a TODO keyword like this. TODO keywords imply to me some kind of
changeable state not a type of content. Alteratively you could make it a
property.

with your curson on the headline, type C-c C-c and enter MEETINGNOTE to
add the tag.

> ** participants
> *** —> John Doe
> *** —> Mary Sample
> ** Goal
> This is the description of meeting goal
> ** Outcome
> Outcome of the meeting
>

> * PERSON John Doe
> Street address
> email address
> telephone

PERSON should also be a tag, or look at org-contacts, where those bits
in the body would be stored as properties.

> * COMPANY MyCompany
> address
> field of operation
> employees:
> - John Doe
> - Mary Sample
>
> * INFO 2015-07-01 John Doe does not want to work with Emacs

You should use org dates like [2015-07-01] which will make them
clickable. I think INFO here should be a tag too.

> * NOTE 2015-07-02 16:20 called John on the phone
> here go some notes about the telephone call with John
>

> So for example:
>
> - I’d like to have all the info (cross)linked, so that if I click
> e.g. on any occurrence of „John Doe“ I’d like to see a list of matches
> that mention John Doe: his PERSON entry, the notes of meetings he
> participated, the company he is an employee of etc. How can I mark up
> info in a way that Emacs or org links such info? Or isn’t this
> possible? Do I have to use Gnowsys or something like that for this?

This is not totally possible, org-mode does not know how to make "John
Doe" clickable unless you make a special link.  but see:
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/06/22/Clickable-org-contacts-in-text-files/

> - I’d like to be able to search all „PERSON“ entries for a specific
> name.
See org-contacts. i integrated something like this into helm:
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/03/14/A-helm-mu4e-contact-selector/
which I use all the time.

> - I’d like to be able to archive chunks of information, e.g. a
> MEETINGNOTE that’s obsolete, equally as I can do it with tasks

C-c C-x a will archive a headline. you can only archive headlines, not
pieces of text.

> - I’d like to filter, i.e. have Emacs only show me e.g. the
> „MEETINGNOTES“ entries with all their text, but filter out everything
> else. Maybe even only „MEETINGNOTES“ with tag „XY“… combined
> filtering. Possible via Agenda, as I understand it, at least
> partially. Matching tags and combinations of tags etc.

This sounds pretty doable with tag/property searches.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F