[O] Color theme loading on startup

From: Daniel Hertrich
Subject: [O] Color theme loading on startup
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 14:08:43 +0200

Hi guys,

quick question, as I don’t really see any root cause for this:

Whenever I try to load a color theme directly from .emacs using load-theme, e.g.

(load-theme 'cyberpunk)

even if I put this line to the end of the .emacs file, the background color of the theme is overridden by something and not applied to the look of Emacs.
If I load the same theme while Emacs is running using

M-x load-theme RET cyberpunk RET

it looks good. However, using this method I cannot persist the choice across sessions.

Any ideas what the reason could be?

Also, there is

M-x color-theme-select

which lists different themes than load-theme. Is this method better? How to  load such themes through .emacs correctly?
E.g. I like the theme „Deep Blue“ listed there, but putting
(color-theme-select ‚deep_blue)
into the .emacs file doesn’t have any effect. However, I don’t know if that’s the correct lisp-compatible name of the theme. How to know what it is?
And where are new themes for this method installed to? As far as I understood, both methods take different format theme files?

Thanks!
Daniel