Re: [O] email ui choices?

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [O] email ui choices?
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 07:10:20 -0400

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 6:51 AM, Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
Juergen Christoffel <address@hidden> writes:

I wonder if it's even necessary to have *any* sort of MUA set up in
Emacs, if all you're doing is sending email? Many email programs paper
over the distinction between sending and receiving/reading email, but I
think the Emacs-based tools preserve that distinction pretty well.

I'm wondering that too now!

Message-mode is built in, and I use it in conjunction with the msmtp
program, like so:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
(setq sendmail-program "msmtp")

thank you for the pointer to msmtp

Check the docstring for the *variable* `message-send-mail-function', and
that should get you started. If you're only using a single account for
sending, that should be significantly simpler. Look at
`user-mail-address' and all that.

Then just call `compose-mail'!

To answer the original question, the org-mime library in Org's
contrib/lisp directory is probably what you want for htmlizing buffers
and sending them as email.

I've made some progress on this but it's not quite perfect.  I have this function:
(defun mime-send-mail ()
"org-mime-subtree and HTMLize"
(interactive)
(org-mark-subtree)
;; wish I could get the PARENT headline here!
;; then figure out how to set subject to that headline!
(let ((subject  (nth 4 (org-heading-components))))
  (org-mime-subtree)
  (insert "\nBest,\nMP.\n")
  (org-mime-htmlize) ;; had to redefine so it could be called non-interactively
  (command-execute 'mml-attach-file)
  (message-goto-to))
)

I've been thinking about it, and I would love to just have a link to the student paper within org itself, and have the attachment added automatically after org-mime-htmlize runs.  I'm not sure exactly how to do that but if I figure it out I will let the group know.  I vaguely recall I've seen other people describe such systems so I would appreciate guidance if it's available.

Thanks again!

Hope that helps,
Eric