Re: [O] Org-mode exporters licensing

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode exporters licensing
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 10:31:29 +0100

On Monday, 27 Jul 2015 at 10:59, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

[...]

> See how stupid this whole copyright law swamp is?
>
> What if I reuse just the basic structure of sentences in the docstrings,
> like in "Subject + verb + preposition + object"?  Do I have to use GPL
> then, too? ;-)
>
> And what if I reuse the naming convention of the functions, but to make
> life easier, I'll just copy large fragments of code and do
> a query-replace on them?  (This is serious.)

Yes, this whole issue can be quite messy.  The GPL is somewhat viral in
nature and was (probably, arguably) intended to be so.  Laudable goals
but sometimes overbearing but let's no go there...

My view would be that if you use any of org code and you want to release
that code to the outside world, you will need to license the result
under GPL.  Given your intent to make your code public domain, this is
not a bad way to go in any case.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3beta-1293-g985420