Re: [O] Org-mode exporters licensing

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode exporters licensing
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 20:02:52 +0200

On 27/07/15 19:42, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> That I've already learned.  OTOH, one of the reasons to use PD might be
> that I explicitly state that I object the legal system I live in.  (Mind
> you: I'm not an anarchist, and I'm very far from that.  But this system
> is almost unbearable.)

This statement confirms that you do not really understand what you are
talking about: as you cannot renounce your copy rights, you cannot place
something in the public domain. If you do not release your work with an
explicit license, the default copyright protection law applies and this
means (in all jurisdictions I know about) that you reserve all rights to
yourself: none can use your code, and probably not even look at it.

>> Other than this I would recommend you to refrain from harsh comments on
>> a matter on which you hold strong ideas but weak knowledge (as most of
>> this thread demonstrates). Especially if your positions seem detrimental
>> of the Copyleft model, and you are asking for help in a mailing-list
>> devoted to a very successful Copyleft program.
>
> Well, as I mentioned earlier, my knowledge is less and less weak, also
> thanks to your explanations.  OTOH, the more I know about these issues,
> the more I dislike the status quo, and the more harsh my opinions about
> GPL in particular are.  (It is not a secret that I am very critical of
> the GPL and of the FSF.  Still, as I said before, I'm very hesitant
> about explicitly breaking their rules.)

You are free to think whatever you want. However, using software
released under the GPL (and profiting of the freedom that the GPL
guarantees you) is not very coherent with your position.

Cheers,
Daniele