Re: [O] Babel and R: Call code block and output plot

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] Babel and R: Call code block and output plot
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 22:19:29 +0100

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Nobis <address@hidden> writes:
> Hi.
>
> I'm playing a little bit with R code blocks in babel and calling them
> in different parts of my document (e.g. showing output in the main
> part and the code in the appendix).
>
> With most code blocks (e.g. setting some variables or outputting a
> LaTeX table with xtable) this works as expected (thanks to all working
> on this; its really great).
>
> Now I wanted to show a plot, but the associated code should also be
> shown in the appendix. In this case CALL seems not to work (not plot
> file is created or its empty).
>
> Here is a small example of what I'm trying to achieve:
>
> #+TITLE: Plotting Test
> #+CREATOR: Emacs 24.5.1 (Org mode 8.2.10)
> #+STARTUP: showall
> #+PROPERTY: session *R*
> #+PROPERTY: exports results
>
> * Main Part
>
> Here I want to show some plot:
>
> #+CALL: myplot[:exports results]()
>
> * Appendix
>
> Here the code of the plot should be shown:
>
> #+NAME: myplot
> #+BEGIN_SRC R :results output graphics :exports code :file my-plot.pdf
> hist(rnorm(50))
> #+END_SRC
>
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or how to better achieve my goal?

You still have to specify the format of the results of the #+CALL line, as in
#+CALL: myplot[:exports results]() :results file

BTW, I also think the 'output' in :results is spurious.

This work for me:

#+TITLE: Plotting Test
#+CREATOR: Emacs 24.5.1 (Org mode 8.2.10)
#+STARTUP: showall
#+PROPERTY: session *R*
#+PROPERTY: exports results

* Main Part

Here I want to show some plot:

#+CALL: myplot[:exports results]() :results file

#+results:
[[file:my-plot.pdf]]

* Appendix

Here the code of the plot should be shown:

#+NAME: myplot
#+BEGIN_SRC R :results graphics :exports code :file my-plot.pdf
hist(rnorm(50))
#+END_SRC

Best,
Andreas