Re: [O] "Capture"-like browser plugin?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] "Capture"-like browser plugin?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 14:23:48 -0400

Peter Davis <address@hidden> writes:

>> Excellent! That works. It prepends "CAPTURE-2-" to the filename I specified
>> in the template, but otherwise seems to work
>> beautifully.
>
> This is not working as expected. Each time I click the Org Capture button in
> Firefox, it opens a new buffer (CAPTURE-2-links.org,
> CAPTURE-3-links.org, etc.). These buffers have no prior contents, only the
> current link I'm trying to capture. If I save the buffer,
> it saves to links.org, the filename I specified, apparently appending to the
> file. Is that as expected?

What does your org-capture template look like? Did you try it explicitly
(i.e. not through the extension, just an ordinary capture)?

FWIW, it works fine for me.

>> Now to look for the Chrome version.
>
> I found a Chrome Org Capture extension, but no way to configure it for which
> emacsclient to use, which capture template, etc. Am I
> missing something?

Whatever you are missing, I'm missing too. In my case, it wants to call
xdg-open which basically calls the desktop environment's underlying
"open" (e.g. gnome-open, exo-open, etc.), so I think I need to configure
that underlying open properly.  But I have no idea what happens on OSX.

Nick