Re: [O] hook on link creation

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] hook on link creation
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 09:56:35 -0400

you could do something like this:
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/07/09/Acronym-minor-mode-for-Emacs/
or this

http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/06/22/Clickable-org-contacts-in-text-files/

with tooltips. It isn't clear to me why you would want it to appear when
you type it. You could as well run a M-x command and enter it. It seems
more clear to me you would want emacs to recognize it later and give you
easy access to the information related to it.

see also my org-ref package, where we do this for citations:
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/03/16/Update-on-org-ref-it-is-now-all-emacs-lisp/

Maybe some of these videos would give you some other ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjxS9m8QCoo functional chemical formulas
in emacs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogavyl_QXiU clickable text

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cEb6F9AEu0  (org-ref + helm)