Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 08:23:58 -0400

Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden> writes:

> On this thread, I will report quite a different user experience.
> I have been a long time user of emacs and Gnus (Emacs since 1987).
> I have been using (ding) Gnus under Windows NT in the late 90's and up
> to about 2010.
>
> But now, I process my mail using the GMail browser interface.
> The reasons are mostly due to :
> - emacs is slow, chrome displays email more precisely and more quickly
> - emacs is not multi-threaded, hence it may get stuck processing
> stuff.
> Using the browser to process mail allows me not to be disturbed when
> I'm writing documents or programming using Emacs.
>
> I'll keep and eye on the solutions that have been reported here
> though.

Interesting. I use a variety of email clients, mainly browser-based ones
(GMail, Fastmail), Thunderbird, and gnus. I keep gnus in
the arsenal for three main reasons:

1) I can do everything quickly without having to move my hands from the
keyboard. If there isn't already a shortcut for what I want,
I can add one.

2) I need a decent editor for replies. I have not found a browser-based client
that has this.

3) To bring this somewhat back on topic, I've recently discovered org capture,
and I love the fact that I can capture a note with a
link to a specific email message.

That last feature alone is reason enough for me.  FWIW, I'm on a Mac, and I
generally use Gnu emacs for editing, programming, etc.,
and use Aquamacs for running gnus. This avoids any latency problems, etc.

-pd