Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?

From: Robert Horn
Subject: Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:14:20 -0400

Bastien Guerry writes:

> My simple point is: let's get more information and let's take a
> proper decision.  Let's not force the change.

I took a look at what is presently supported by Red Hat, Ubuntu, and
OpenSuSE in their long term support releases.  The results:

emacs 23.1 (RHEL 6.0, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)
emacs 24.3 (OpenSUSE 13.x, RHEL 7, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS)
emacs 24.5 (OpenSUSE latest rolling, SUSE SLE-12)

In my opinion the goal of Org should be to run on the oldest version of
emacs that includes features needed by Org.  The long term support
versions are indicative of what we should expect from the
non-experimental users who just need Org to work.  They are not
exploratory development users.

Since three major distributions are still at emacs 24.3 for their most
recent long term support versions, that argues for Org not going beyond
24.3.  It's reasonable to expect the non-experimental not bleeding edge
users to be one the most recent long term support version.

--
Sent with my mu4e