Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 08:04:59 +0200

Hi Bastien,

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 01:01:29AM +0200, Bastien wrote:

> The maint branch continues to be used to work on minor releases, as it
> has always been used.
>
> Instead of reverting changes from the master branch (you clearly don't
> want to do that, and I don't either), I suggest we create a new branch
> called "org-8-master" for Org 8.4+, and continue to use master for Org
> 9.x+ (i.e. "major major releases").

I'm slightly confused as-to why this special org-8-master branch is
needed.  As far as I understood from Achim's message (2nd paragraph):

  <http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden>,

that so far maint supports Emacs 23.  Although this might have been a
coincidence, without a conscious decision.  It will continue supporting
Emacs 23 until Org 9.  Post Org 9, if required, one can choose to start
a new maint branch called maint23 for continued Emacs 23 support.

Given the above, I do not understand the need for a separate
org-8-master branch.  Is this a gap in communication, or am I missing
something here?

Cheers,

--
Suvayu