Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 11:40:09 +0200

Hi Suvayu,

Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm slightly confused as-to why this special org-8-master branch is
> needed.  As far as I understood from Achim's message (2nd paragraph):
>
>   <http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden>,
>
> that so far maint supports Emacs 23.

Yes, maint supports Emacs 23.

But maint is for minor release, and I want a branch where we can work
on major releases (8.4, 8.5, etc.) that support Emacs 23 too.

The clean way would have been to use drop-emacs23 branch for working
on code that does not support Emacs 23, and continue to use master for
working on major releases, but since nobody wants to revert the code
on master, there is no harm in using "org-8-master" as the new master.

> Although this might have been a
> coincidence, without a conscious decision.  It will continue supporting
> Emacs 23 until Org 9.  Post Org 9, if required, one can choose to start
> a new maint branch called maint23 for continued Emacs 23 support.
>
> Given the above, I do not understand the need for a separate
> org-8-master branch.  Is this a gap in communication, or am I missing
> something here?

I hope my answer clarifies things.

Thanks,

--