Re: [O] Bug: Priorities not inheriting [8.3.1 (8.3.1-56-g17a225-elpa @ /

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Priorities not inheriting [8.3.1 (8.3.1-56-g17a225-elpa @ /Users/luke/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150817/)]
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 13:24:47 +0200

> Correcting myself,
>
>> AFAIK, PRIORITY never was intended to be inherited. Inheritance applies
>> to node properties, i.e. property drawers, whereas special properties,
>> like PRIORITY are, by definition, not set through property drawers.
>
> This is incorrect. What I mean is inheritance is not automatic for
> special properties, unlike to regular node properties.
>
> In any case, this doesn't depend on `org-use-property-inheritance'. Few
> of the special properties are inherited, e.g., BLOCKED, and /always/
> are, most are never inherited, e.g. ITEM.
>
>> There is also a technical issue: Org defines a default priority, so
>> PRIORITY is never empty. Again, inheritance kicks in when a property is
>> undefined at some level. This never happens in this case.
>
> We need to redefine `org-default-prority' to solve this, e.g., the
> variable only applies to top-level items.

After a few tests, I'm confused and I don't understand all the changes
in this area (and they are not documented in ORG-NEWS.)

Let's forget about what "special" means and how properties are
displayed and set in the buffer.

We have four categories of properties:

1. those which are *never* inherited (like ITEM)
2. those which are *always* inherited (like CATEGORY)
3. those which inheritance relies on `org-use-property-inheritance'
4. those which are not part of the previous types

(4) sounds a bit borgesian, but it's important: my understanding is
that this fourth category *should* be empty.  Apparently it is not
empty, since the PRIORITY property inheritance is not controlled by
`org-use-property-inheritance'.  Are there other exceptions?

There is a default priority the same way there is a default category:
having a default value for the PRIORITY property should not prevent
inheriting it from a superior headline IMO, and the previous behavior
was right.

I know dwelling on this is boring but we need to do so, at least to
clarify changes in etc/ORG-NEWS.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien