Re: [O] Valid use cases for lists?

From: Mike McLean
Subject: Re: [O] Valid use cases for lists?
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 11:18:43 -0400

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 3:55 PM, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
Chris Patti <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm guessing I'm missing something obvious here, and that's why I'm asking.

Export.  List are used everywhere.

I also use them for “simple” projects. I have a set of Task TODO keywords for one-off tasks. I have a set of Project TODO keywords for projects. Typically a project is a heading with a Project keyword and a number of (level + 1) headings with Task keywords. For projects that span several days/weeks this works well.

Some things that I do fall between Project and Task in the complexity. The items needs 1-2 things done and discrete and different points in time (temporal dependency, first A then B) or with different co workers (collaboration) or both. The overall work, however, will only take 0-2 days. It's too big for a single task. It's too small for a Project. It's related items that conceptually belong together. In Goldilocks fashion, a check-box list is just the right size.

#+begin_example
** TODO Medium Sized “project” [1/3]
- [X] Get information from John
- [ ] Process information and send to Mary for review
- [ ] Finalize and submit final to Joe (based on Mary’s comments and changes)
#+end_example