Re: [O] "user-error: No language for src block: (unnamed)" when running

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] "user-error: No language for src block: (unnamed)" when running `org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files`
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 15:43:31 +0100

Hi,

Ista Zahn <address@hidden> writes:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Nicolas Goaziou
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Ista Zahn <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Unless you've restored sanity by setting org-export-babel-evaluate to
>>> nil. Personally I think this is not a good default. Source block
>>> evaluation and export are distinct actions, and I don't see why they
>>> should be linked by default.
>>
>> Wild guess:
>>
>> Principle of least surprise: setting it to nil means results from Babel
>> code are not refreshed before export, without user realizing about it.
>> I think most users would like them to be up-to-date before export. It
>> seems sane to me.
>
> The problem is that if the code blocks are non-trivial it slows down
> the export. Changing one line of documentation and exporting
> re-evaluates all the code blocks, which for me often takes several
> minutes. The defaults work for trivial examples, but not my real-world
> use. Since it's easy to make it work how I want it to via
> org-export-babel-evaluate I don't mean to complain too much. I posted
> mostly to make sure the OP knows about org-export-babel-evaluate, in
> case disabling code block evaluation on export makes sense for them.

I know that problem...

Decoupling code block evaluation and export has the problem of
decoupling code block evaluation and export ;-), though.  If you export
your document without evaluating first, how can you be sure that the
resulting document is based on the latest version of the code contained
in the code blocks?  So, from my point of view the default is the safe
option and, thus, fine.

Regards,
Andreas