Re: [O] Collaborative Team Project Management with Orgmode?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Collaborative Team Project Management with Orgmode?
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 11:29:37 +0800

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>
>> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
>> that has been posted to gmane.emacs.orgmode as well.

>>> Message id tracking is likely the way to do it in mu4e. mu4e links seem
>>> to store this for links.
>>>
>>> [[mu4e:msgid:address@hidden
>>
>> Yup, I think most of the MUA links end up looking something like that.
>> Message IDs are the one constant across MUAs and (most) mail sources, so
>> everything in Gnorb is keyed to that.
>
> It is pretty easy to get these from a message. I use this variable in a
> send callback function:
>
> (setq *email-message-id*
>         (concat
>          "mu4e:msgid:"
>          ;; borrowed from
> https://github.com/girzel/gnorb/blob/master/gnorb-utils.el#L137
>          (replace-regexp-in-string
>           "\\(\\`<\\|>\\'\\)" "" (mail-fetch-field "Message-ID"))))
>
> and then later use
> (org-set-property "Message-ID" *email-message-id*)
>
> and I get a clickable link in the property that will go back to the
> message (after mu indexes again for freshly sent emails).

[...]

> This seems to do what you describe. When I run it, I get an mu4e buffer
> with those two messages in it. Basically you just create a mu query.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (let ((ids '("address@hidden"
>              "address@hidden") ))
>   (mu4e-headers-search
>    (mapconcat
>     (lambda (id)
>       (concat "msgid:" id))
>     ids
>     " or ")))
> #+END_SRC

All this looks very encouraging!

>>> This sounds pretty interesting. I have never gotten that into
>>> attachments, but this might change my mind. There are functions in mu4e
>>> to view and save attachments, so this might not be hard.
>>
>> Much of my work involves throwing attachments around (or rather,
>> receiving attachments and sending back plain text whenever possible),
>> so this is pretty crucial for me. While org-attach is very sound, I
>> found its surface-layer interface a bit cumbersome, and this makes it a
>> lot easier to use.
>
> Me too ;) I just have not progressed to org-attach yet. I usually have
> to edit the attachments. How easy is it to reattach them to send back?

When you use `gnorb-org-handle-mail' on a heading, that composes a new
reply to most recently-associated message (or does something else,
depending), and runs `map-y-or-n-p' over the org-attach files, offering
to attach them to the outgoing message.

This works pretty well for me. The only org-attach commands I'm really
missing now would be `org-attach-copy-attachment' (to somewhere else on
my filesystem), and `org-attach-refile-attachment' (to move an
attachment to a different heading).

Anyway, all looks promising! Now to find the time...

Eric