Re: [O] Links to Info manuals in exported HTML/LaTeX

From: Richard Y. Kim
Subject: Re: [O] Links to Info manuals in exported HTML/LaTeX
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 19:10:29 -0700

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> it seems that links to Info manuals are broken in HTML and LaTeX export
> (and possibly in other backends, too).
>
> Would it make sense to make them work, i.e., link to the official web
> versions, at least for standard Info manuals, like Emacs manual, Elisp
> reference or Org manual?

It is not broken for my use case.  I like the fact that

    [[info:emacs#Top][Emacs Manual]]

is turned into

because I generated emacs.html, elisp.html, org.html, etc. all in
my ~/public_html/ or sub-directories.  Hence
works fine for my use case.  It is a lot faster to access GNU manuals
when they are all on local host.

Should the current behavior be the default?  Perhaps not.  I believe
makeinfo and/or texi2html generates html links pointing to the official
pages at gnu.org.  This could be the default behavior, but I hope not
the *only* behavior.  If current export code is to be changed, I would
like to see user selectable option so that I can choose to use the
current behavior.