Re: [O] install org-element, org-db

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] install org-element, org-db
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 20:17:02 +0200

Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, I got confused when I did M-x org-element-interpret-data and got
> nothing. I used it in a code block and it worked fine. Beginner question
> for sure: Why do these functions not work as M-x commands, rather, just in
> elisp code?

The technical reason: Function that are not marked as interactive won't
show up in M-x.  See the the docstring of interactive and the elisp manual
for details.

Why wasn't it marked interactive [note, I'm speculating here]?  It's
unlikely that you could want or should to run org-element-interpret-data
with "hand-written" input.  The org-element form becomes quite long (check
org-element-at-point on your favorite element).  In any case, when you
need it just do M-:.

> BTW, how would I run org-element-interpret-data and have it just place the
> output directly into my buffer without placing it in the #+RESULTS: output
> format? I see I can customize the #+RESULTS: word itself, and, of
> course, *:results
> raw* almost gets it, but still puts the #+RESULTS: label at the top.

To the best of my knowledge I would say no.  If I'm wrong Nick D will
surely chim in with the correct answer.

Rasmus

--
May contains speling mistake