Re: [O] Bug: Can't export subtree with links to headlines outside of the

From: Michael Behr
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Can't export subtree with links to headlines outside of the subtree [8.3.1 (8.3.1-95-g1dbb25-elpa)]
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 14:39:42 -0400

My use case is a large file of notes that I want to typeset frequently as I update it, so that won't work for me unless there's an easy way to pass a filtered version of the file to the exporter.

Personally I'd prefer a customization option to change this behavior, but if that's not doable I'll work around it. Might be worth putting a note about it in the manual, though.

(I can't find the previous discussion of this, so sorry if I'm retreading old ground.)

Thanks,
Michael

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Michael Behr <address@hidden> writes:

> I want to export a subtree of a file, but that subtree has links to
> headings in the file that are outside of the subtree. I expect the
> exporting process to produce some sort of valid result, but instead it
> throws an "Unable to resolve link" error. Here's a test file to
> reproduce:
>
> * Foo
> * Bar :export:
> [[*Foo][Foo]]
>
> Making a file with those contents and trying to export it to e.g.
> latex will fail, but if the :export: tag is removed, exporting
> succeeds. I can't easily get a backtrace because the error comes from
> user-error, but it happens in org-export-resolve-fuzzy-link.
>
> Of course the exported file can't link to a target that doesn't exist,
> but it's probably better to strip out the link in this case than to
> throw an error, right?

Actually, wrong. It was discussed already, and the current trend is to
throw an error instead of silently dropping the link.

Can't you just filter it out before exporting?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou