Re: [O] Merge branch 'maint'

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: [O] Merge branch 'maint'
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 16:32:25 +0200

Josiah Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Josiah,

>> As I understood, for Org mode some commits are applied to maint, and
>> then merged into master. Why?
>
> It may be helpful for you to do a some background reading on workflows
> with git.  Have you ever read the gitworkflows man page?
>
>   https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitworkflows.html
>
> This page discusses many of the questions you have raised.

Thanks for the link. I've read it, and it does make sense.  But making
sense doesn't make it more convenient. I can understand some feature
branch being merged, but is the workflow of applying a single commit to
maint and merging maint into master really the best that Git can offer?

Would it be so hard for Git to perform a single merge of master into
maint on release, while keeping them separate and cherry-picking
in-between for the sake of a clean linear history?  The easy way would
be to rewrite maint on each release, but perhaps Git can do better?

    Oleh