Re: [O] Favorite way of syncing?

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: [O] Favorite way of syncing?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:51:52 -0400

Myles English <address@hidden> writes:

>> I was wondering what is your favorite way of syncing your org files
>> and everything.
>
> For org files I use git combined with myrepos and it has been working
> very well for me for several years.  For dotfiles I recently discovered
> vcsh, also synced via myrepos.  It too is working nicely so far.
>
> When I leave one computer I type 'mr update' and everything syncs to a
> server running gitolite that manages bare repos.  When I get to another
> computer I type 'mr update' to sync it again.

I'd also recommend trying myrepos and wanted to add that you can avoid
using a bare repo by syncing with git annex [1].  This works regardless
of whether you decide to check your changes into git annex (which tracks
versions of a file and where it exists but not the actual content) or
track the content as usual with git.  I don't do this for my Org files
(like Myles, I use plain git and a central bare repo), but I use git
annex for other files whose content I don't want to track with git.

[1] Also by Joey Hess, the author of myrepos.
    https://git-annex.branchable.com/

--
Kyle