Re: [O] Show presence of zero width spaces using overlay

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Show presence of zero width spaces using overlay
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 13:37:30 +0200

Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

> My most common uses are escaping double quotes (") and equals (=) within
> org verbatim blocks (=VERBATIM=)
>
> Examples:
>
> 1. =var=[ZWS]val=
> 2. =[ZWS]"something"[ZWS]=
>
> Here [ZWS] is the 0x200b zero width space unicode char.
>
> I found [ZWS] useful as a generic escape char for org mode. There are few
> other cases where this has been useful, but I can't recall right now.
>
> In any case, what would be the recommended way to escape " and = in the
> above 2 examples?

As I said, entities can only escape most Org syntax. Verbatim and code
objects are an exception. Here I think we should introduce an escape
mechanism, much like the one used in macro arguments in order to escape
commas.

For example, in a verbatim object, one only needs to escape "=", using
common "\". Obviously, "\=" constructs can be escaped with "\\=" and so
on. Likewise, in code objects, only "~" needs to be escaped.

In any case, I don't think Org syntax should rely on non-ASCII
characters.

Regards,