Re: [O] First steps in customizing org-mode

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] First steps in customizing org-mode
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:59:17 +0100

On Saturday, 10 Oct 2015 at 10:08, Giulio Petrucci wrote:

[...]

> In some sense I strongly disagree with this idea.
> Let me explain: it is true that reading the docs for
> 'org-agenda-custom-commands' helps me more than googling here and
> there.
> But *first* I have to know that such a variable exists.
> So my actual problem is the following: which is the easiest entry
> point for the org universe?

Tom has already pointed you to the tutorial and the online guide.

Another route is the Emacs built-in help system.  You can find commands
containing any word using C-h a, e.g. for agenda commands: C-h a agenda
RET.

You can see the description of any variable using C-h v variable
RET.  If you don't know the name of the variable, you can search for
variables that contain the word using the TAB key but noting that TAB
completion has some interesting options for variable searches:

C-h v word TAB :: show list of variables starting with word.
C-h v -word TAB :: show list of variables containing word

and combinations such as

C-h v org-agenda TAB
C-h v org--agenda TAB

Play and see.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3.2-161-gd2ac25