Re: [O] Some projects

From: Ista Zahn
Subject: Re: [O] Some projects
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:49:17 -0400

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I don't know which OS you are using, but just checking on
>> [[https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases/1.15.1]] and
>> [[https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases/tag/1.15.1.1]]:
>>
>> Windows: 19.7 MB
>> Mac    : 27.9 MB
>> Deb    : 20.2 MB
>>
>> The 1600MB must be including LaTeX?
>
> Nope, but something like 100 haskell libraries and ghc.  I guess it’s not
> build in a static way?
>
> It’s much smaller on Debian, approx. 25Mb.  (I should switch to Fedora
> full-time).
>
>> In General, I like the idea of using the Pandoc approach, as Pandoc
>> provides a very useful framework for all kinds of conversions (and I
>> don't like java...)
>
> Your first argument refers to a side effect (to us), and it is irrelevant
> IMO.

I disagree. pandoc supports conversion to and from org-mode. Making
pandoc a requirement will enable other useful features (e.g., "Import
documents from...", alternative pandoc-based exporters etc. IMO pandoc
is easy on Windows and OSX. It is easy on some Linux distros but not
all. I use Arch LInux, where getting pandoc requires some work, but I
think that is an issue that the Linux distros need to work out. In
short, pandoc is extremely useful for org-mode users, and not only for
citations. I think pandoc is the way to go.

  Java run easily everywhere, easily, and if you use mathml for some