Re: [O] Some projects

From: Rasmus Pank Roulund
Subject: Re: [O] Some projects
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 16:09:09 +0100

Hi,

Ista Zahn <address@hidden> writes:

> I disagree. pandoc supports conversion to and from org-mode.

I fail to see how this is relevant for the discussion at hand.

> Making pandoc a requirement will enable other useful features (e.g.,
> "Import documents from...", alternative pandoc-based exporters etc.

AFAIK, nobody is working on this.

> IMO pandoc is easy on Windows and OSX. It is easy on some Linux distros
> but not all.

> I use Arch LInux, where getting pandoc requires some work, but I think
> that is an issue that the Linux distros need to work out.

No it doesn't: pacman -S pandoc.

The relevant question here is whether we can accept to rely on pandoc for
CSL support.  Any other feature is irrelevant.

At 25MB, a static, precompiled pandoc is probably fine, but for users of
some OSs, such as Archlinux or even worse some OS where pandoc is not
generally available as a precompiled package, it’s a really, really big
dependency.  I may still be the best option, though.

Rasmus

--
And when I’m finished thinking, I have to die a lot