Re: [O] pdflatex not found?

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] pdflatex not found?
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 16:40:36 +0100

Peter Davis <address@hidden> writes:

> Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Envoyé de mon iPhone

>>> Yes, probably, but if I can get people to submit backtraces when getting
>>> an error, we can cut down the email volume by a factor of 2.43 (making up
>>> fictitious data to bolster my case...) In all seriousness, at least it
>>> shows that you are not going down some strange path.
>
> I think the actual number is more like 2.17, but let's not quibble.
>

>>> What happens if you say M-x shell-command RET pdflatex RET?
>
> Not found.
>
>>> Somebody suggested running "which pdflatex" in your shell - what does
>>> that say?
>
> Still not found. However, adding it to ~/.tcshrc seems to fix the problem.
> That makes sense, but leaves two questions:
>
> 1) Why am I able to run pdflatex (without specifying the path) just from the
> shell running in a terminal window?
>
> 2) What's the point of defining the emacs exec-path, since I needed to define
> the shell's PATH variable anyway?
>
>>> And you say it should be in /usr/texbin - what happens if you invoke
>>> it with an absolute path: "/usr/texbin/pdflatex" in your shell?
>>
>> Imiight have missed it - but which OS are you using?
>
> Sorry. It's OS X 10.10.5, using GNU Emacs 24.5.1

I thought so.

OK - you have pdflatex in the terminal? If yes, you have to bring the
PATH from the terminal into emacs. I use

I use the package exec-path-from-shell for this (and use-package in general):

(use-package exec-path-from-shell
  :ensure t
  :config
  (exec-path-from-shell-initialize)
  (exec-path-from-shell-copy-env "LC_ALL")
  (exec-path-from-shell-copy-env "LANG")
  )

so
(require 'exec-path-to-shell)